Friday, July 9, 2010

Red Strike Sugar Free

A huge thanks goes out to my wonderful girlfriend for spotting a new drink that I have not tried and getting it for me.  Today I will be reviewing an energy drink I have not heard of called Red Strike.



The Look:  I wouldn't describe the can as bad but it is also not innovative by any means. They put the basics on the can.  You get an ingredient list on the back (no caffeine listed) and you get the company name and all that on the front.  Considering this drink was priced at 2 for $2.22 I think the package does alright.
(6 out of 10)



Taste:  With a name like Red Strike I wonder what this will taste like..... if you guessed a Red Bull clone then give yourself a prize.  I did find this drink slightly gummier than Red Bull and the sugar free aspect was a bit more apparent. You could use this in Jager Bombs and other things that usually include Red Bull and it would probably go unnoticed.  A decent knockoff that makes up for it's lackings in value.
(7 out of 10)


Does It Work:  In each can there is 20 calories, niacin, some B vitamins, taurine, and an undisclosed amount of caffeine.  Looking at the ingredients once again you can see they were trying to imitate Red Bull.  There is a mid level buzz in each can that lasted me about 3 hours with no crash.
(7 out of 10)


Overall Thoughts:  If you are looking for an alternative to Red Bull that is considerably cheaper then this is a pretty good option.  This drink was found at a Wal-Mart gas station at a price of 2 for $2.22.  It is hard to really complain about this drink with this value.  Next time you are in the mood for Red Bull and Vodka or Jager Bombs check and see if you can score a Red Strike to mix instead.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well hi there fellow caffeine freak! I stumbled on to your blog through blogcatalog. With a name like caffeine freak, being the OCM (over-caffeinated mom) I felt compelled to check you out. I notice in your Twitter stream you are going to review True Blood, good timing, I can wait for your review before I buy it! I'm wondering if you have tried any of the Caffeinated Beverages over at ThinkGeek.com. I was going to order Case O Bawls but I wanted to hear from someone who had tried it first!

Caffeine A Holic said...

Thanks for the comment.
Yes Thinkgeek was one of the first places I ordered caffeinated products from. Bawls are a great drink, they have a very refreshing light citrus taste that taste amazing. I have tried all the varieties the only one I would stay away from is the sugar free it just tasted weird. They also sell some Bawls Mints on Thinkgeek.com that are really good and worth a try. Just for you I will do a review of Bawls this week. Thanks for checking out the site.

Kiva said...

I am really impressed with the price of red strike. And you're right about mixing them, you can't tell any difference in taste. As usual your review was right on par with my own findings.

AndyC. said...

I just found this at a Super WalMart in Ames (IA) for just $ .98 and am now addicted if for only the sheer price.

Definitely a cheap enough replacement for Red Bull for a college student's budget.

Funky Home Finds said...

Funny...I also just found this at Wally World (regular, not sugar-free) and I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. I figured for 98 cents a can even if it gives me a caffeine jolt that lasts only a couple of hours, it's well worth the buck I paid.

Anonymous said...

Man, really want to know how can you be that smart, lol...great read, thanks.

Anonymous said...

It took me a while to search on the net, only your site unfold the fully details, bookmarked and thanks again.

- Kris

Anonymous said...

The problem for me with both Red Strikes is the fact they copied Red Bull. The price makes them ok blend aint bad but when you copy another drinks taste thats just not good.

Anonymous said...

The gas station at Wal-Mart is actually a Murphy USA. They developed and market Red Strike. Good drink and very affordable.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *